Book Review; '29, Single & Nigerian'

11:59:00 am

First off, this is one of the few books I finished reading in less than 24 hours. It was that captivating and HILARIOUS to say the least. By the way, how's your week going? A happy new month to you! This is my first book review of the year. Yay! I'm just trying to hang in here...I was a bit disoriented last week but I'm much better now. My phone is beginning to give me issues, the camera refused to come up all through last week, most of my apps are giving me error messages. My phone's operating system is low and cannot be upgraded.*sigh*. I don't even want to think about getting a new phone yet because prices have almost doubled. This recession isn't a joke. Now back to the book.



29, Single and Nigerian is a novel written by anonymous blogger, Naijasinglegirl. This book is one of the items on my wishlist and I didn't waste time to jump at it when I saw it on sale on OkadaBooks for 900 Naira. As much as I dislike reading soft copy versions of books, I didn't mind at all this time as I was really itching to get my hands on this book.


DESCRIPTION ON OKADABOOKS-  Edikan is naive, materialistic, incredibly thirsty and bordering on delusional. This lady has nothing going on for her and is completely unprepared for 'adulting'. You would think the reverse would be the case, considering her background, but it turns out growing up in poverty doesn't necessarily make you realistic.

I know a lot has been said about this book but let me add my own thoughts and opinion to the lot. This book highlights a host of societal issues we're currently facing in Nigeria. The pressure on single ladies is too real. Edikan finished her NYSC at the age of 28 and is already been pressured to bring a man home. She has no job, no skill, in fact, she practically has nothing. It's as if marriage is the gateway to a 'better' life but society would still be the one to blame you if rush into marriage and end up rushing out. It's absurd.

One interesting theme in this book is the myth of having so much fun and a hitch free service year as a Lagos corps member.
A text Edikan got from her friend posted to Lagos. LOL!


The hype about the orientation camp and the mami market. I can relate to this part because I felt the same way before my NYSC. If you feel this way, let me tell you that serving in Lagos isn't as much fun as you think. If you're genuinely posted there, fine. But by no means try to manipulate it. Edikan was so bent on serving in Lagos and ended up been duped by someone who promised to 'work' her posting.

In the search for a job (and husband), Edikan meets George who is a successful business man and in a short while, they kick off a 'relationship' which was more of a sexual relationship. But Edikan was briefly blinded by the money and gifts she was getting from George until she realized she was his mistress aka side chick. It's sad how most ladies tend to change who they are to suit the standards of a partner in a relationship. It's good when your significant other brings out the best in you but when it starts to feel like you're losing yourself, just like Edikan did by wearing nose-rings, then there is a problem.

I would give this book 5 stars. Yes, it's that good. The writing style was excellent and captivating. The humor was on point! I can't remember how many times I burst out in laughter while reading it. Naijasinglegirl did too good a job capturing the many issues that surround the Nigeria youth. I recommend everyone, both old and young to read it.

This is a book worth shelving so I would definitely get the hard copy, read it again, and then display it on my shelf.

PS; My very good friend Ebere got me the Cassie Daves 2017 Blogplanner as a birthday gift! That's another item off my wishlist. Yippee!! I'd be doing a review of the planner in my next post so stay with me please? My next read is "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. I'd share with you my thoughts in March.

Be back soon.
Evita, x.






You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Handset of these days don't know when to start developing faults... they will just add to your pressure. Kpele.

    29 Single Nigerian sounds like it will make an interesting read for me already. Nice review... Naija can make a single (even double or couple) to become something they don't even understand seeef.

    May God help us all.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts