Life In Ipetumodu

12:55:00 am

This is the last NYSC gist, I promise.  So I got posted to Federal government Girls' College, Ipetumodu. I bet some of you never knew there was a Federal Government Girl's College there. Well, I was so happy but I had mixed feelings as well. "Girl's school. Girls and their wahala" I know this because I attended an all girls school in my junior secondary school year. I got to the school after our mandatory 2 weeks break at home, they gave us sometime to gather our things and get set for work.

So I was all set! School resumed in October because the Unity schools were having a misunderstanding with the federal government based on some issues about making adequate provisions for the students because of the Ebola issue.( that sentence was long though.pardon me) 
So, work started in earnest. I was assigned to teach History and Christian Religious Studies. For those of you that don't know, I studied International Studies and Diplomacy in the university. My first class was JSS2. I was introduced by my HOD and she left me to take over from there. The children were looking at me and I was looking at them. Then I smiled.(never underestimate the power of a smile) I asked them how their holiday was and it aroused their interest in the class. Hehehehe!! Born teacher abi (both my parents are trained teachers. Shhhh!) I had a new name "Corper Agnes". According to Mazi, languages department HOD "Agi nwama ehhh" hahahaha!! That's how the Igbos(the typical ones though) call Agnes,"Agi or Agi-nes". Work was going well,although stressful at a point but still manageable until one very wonderful day.

Wonderful day I said right? This news hit us like Hurricane Catherina. We were to report to Ede Camp in November. "What?!?!?!!!" These people are joking! Wait, after I've settled down, accepted the title "Ebola Corper" and all the teasing about my batch being the only set not to have experienced camp, I should now go back to camp. NOOOOOO!!!! I started ranting. "For what?! What's all this na? After everything?! How???"lol! I started crying. Smh. The once desirable had now become the unwanted. After all the ranting, nothing still changed. We had to pack our bags and move to camp.

Ede Camp again. Hmm! This time I wasn't even smiling at all. We did the necessary and then settled down. I was even getting set to take a nap when we heard this trumpet-like sound(the bugle but pronounced like beagle) What does this mean now? They said we're to get set for parade. Na wa o, so we won't rest? Parade now now?! *deep sigh* this is camp! We then set out,me and my roomie, Sonia. This parade was no joke o. 3hrs under the hot blazing sun. The soldiers weren't smiling. I was close to tears. "So this is the camp abi? Kai!" I was in for the longest three weeks of my life. I didn't like camp already. Everything had time in camp. Time to eat, time to play, time to sleep and the most dreaded, time to wake up. The first morning parade wasn't a joke. I almost fell on the parade ground because I was dozing on the line. You know this 5am sleep that's always "sweet" lol! That was when I was awake and filing out for this parade. God, see your daughter. That first 24 hours was horrible. Toilet and bathroom conditions were nothing to write home about. Gross! So this was what I had to put up with for three weeks.

Camp ended( praise God) and we left, back to our PPA(place of primary assignment) like big boys and girls. No fear of posting. I was so glad! I cherished Ipetumodu so much at this time. I missed my tiny mattress and my room. oh, I can sleep well now.(I don't joke with my sleep) Back to work and I was glad!

Ipetumodu is a quiet town,more like a village to me though. 20 minutes away from Ile Ife. All I can tell you is that I survived. It wasn't easy. I fell ill a couple of times unlike me. It was a tad bit difficult to adapt but I did. I had to. My students were amazing. We had our moments. I was playful but firm. No nonsense in my class *adjusts glasses*  I miss them a lot especially my adopted little sister,Stephanie Zibili. She was the first student to always come to the staff room to greet me and see how I'm doing. Give me hostel gist.hehe! Then seek my advice. Jovial girl.



So that's it. My NYSC experience. Thanks for taking time out to share it with me and please do come back for the next post titled, "Where Is Patience?"

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Lol... Interesting. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miguel. Its just a part of the story, didn't wanna bore you guys.lol!

      Delete
  2. Hehhaa! I discovered this blog and read most of your posts...This is my favourite one!
    you are a very funny lady...I love the accent too..

    Keep writing though...you're good at it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thanks a lot Samita. I really appreciate. :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent write-up esp when I know "every" Anty Agi nwa nma eh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahn I wouldn't have known about anything Osun if you weren't posted there truly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. Even me. Thank God for the experience. It was worthwhile.

      Delete
  5. hehehe....interesting you remind me of those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm Nostalgic much. The mention of FGGC Ipetumodu brought me here, that's my alma matter and I miss it so much. I remember I was really close to a corper teaching CRS too. I'm sure you had a great time. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Served there a year later after you came in July 2015....zibiLi was the senior prefect in her set...me ilove ipetumodu very much

    ReplyDelete
  8. Served there a year later after you came in July 2015....zibiLi was the senior prefect in her set...me ilove ipetumodu very much

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts